2-Step Pest Control System for Dogs and Cats
- Step 1: Wash & Relieve: Say "Bye-bye, buggies!" naturally with safe, yet potent pest-control shampoo. Without harsh pesticides, DefendexRed™ shampoo kills pests on contact with the power of Texas Red Cedar. Enjoy bug-free peace of mind and the earthy-fresh, sweet scent of cedar, rosemary, and vanilla.
- Step 2: Treat & Protect: Harness the natural pest-killing power of Texas Red Cedar oil with CedarGuard™. Our versatile spray kills pests when applied to soft surfaces in your home and protects against bug bites and reinfestation when applied to your dog’s coat.*
- The Naturally Powerful Holistic Approach: With the power you want, and without the chemical pesticides you don’t, DefendexRed shampoo and CedarGuard work together to deliver the ultimate, holistic approach with the Defendex 2-Step Pest Control System.
- No harsh chemical pesticides and none of their risks!
Bye-Bye, Toxic Treatments!
Effective AND safe – because we don’t believe in compromise when it comes to your pets. The Defendex 2-Step Pest Control System delivers potent pest killing power without the risks of chemical pesticides! Step 1: Take care of infestations on your pet with DefendexRed shampoo. Step 2: Kill pests around your home and help keep pests off your pup with the natural pest-fighting power of CedarGuard spray.*
Because you love your pets, but not the pests that bite them, get the ultimate in natural pest defense. For the powerful, fast-acting, holistic approach to pest elimination, defend them naturally with Defendex 2-Step!
Quickly begin eliminating pests with DefendexRed shampoo. With no pyrethrin, permethrin, pyrethroids, or harsh chemical pesticides, DefendexRed helps kill fleas, ticks, and mange mites with the natural power of Texas Red Cedar oil. Fresh, clean, and bug-free, DefendexRed’s blend of cedar, rosemary, and vanilla helps keep bugs off your pets after the suds are gone. While its calming aromatherapeutic scent lingers on their fur, it disguises them from biting insects and repels those that come too close!
Step 1: Start your pest-control efforts strong with DefendexRed. Kill fleas, nits, eggs, lice, and mange mites without harsh chemical pesticides. Texas Red Cedar and rosemary are naturally tough on bugs and gentle on pets.
Kill pests that may be hiding in your home and protect against new ones with CedarGuard spray! Applied to soft surfaces, the natural bug-killing power and fresh scent of CedarGuard’s Texas Red Cedar oil treats homes safely without staining or residue. Applied to your dog’s coat, CedarGuard repels fleas, ticks, mange mites, flies, and mosquitoes without harsh chemical pesticides or their risks.* Enjoy bug-free confidence both indoors and out, naturally with CedarGuard!
Step 2: Kill and repel pests in your carpeting, bedding, furniture and other soft surfaces around your home. Apply to your dog’s coat* for protection against fleas, ticks, mange mites, flies, and mosquitoes.
Bug Free, Care Free.
For complete pest control, you need a holistic approach. For complete peace of mind, you need a solution that’s both safe and effective! The Defendex 2-Step Pest Control System delivers the best of both worlds with its simple two-step process. Without the risks of chemical pesticides and poisons, the potent natural ingredients in DefendexRed shampoo and CedarGuard work together to quickly rid your pets and home of irritating, embarrassing bugs, and safely protect against recurrence. Get bug free, care free, naturally with the Defendex 2-Step System!
Fed up with the bugs, but worried about chemical pesticides? Choose the powerful holistic approach to rid your pets & home of bugs and help keep them away for good!
Without harsh and risky chemical pesticides, DefendexRed shampoo kills fleas, ticks, and mites on your pets. Dogs can enjoy added protection against recurrence with a topical application of CedarGuard spray after washing.
KILL & REPEL BUGS
No permethrin, pyrethrin, or pyrethroids. No urea or PEGs. Safely, powerfully treat your pets & home for:
For complete pest-control, home treatment is essential. Regular sweeping, vacuuming, and laundering followed by CedarGuard application kills bugs on contact and helps keep irritating, embarrassing pests out of your home for good!
How to use DefendexRed
Directions: Draw a shallow bath of warm water. (fig. 1) Once your pet is in the bath, thoroughly soak youe pet's coat with water. (fig. 2) Then, squeeze a generous amount of shampoo into your hand (fig. 3), create a lather, and massage into your pet's coat for 10- 15 minutes. (fig. 4) If your pet needs it, you can brush your pet's coat to smooth it. Then part your pet's coat into small sections and, using the 5/10k exempt flea comb, (fig. 5) comb through each section. (fig. 6) Regularly rinse the comb in the bowl of hot water to remove any fleas or eggs.
Repeat as needed, up to 3 times per week.
After opening: Keep product away from direct sunlight, prolonged temperatures above 80° F, and strong electromagnetic fields. Store in a dark place and keep container tightly closed.
How to use CedarGuard
For Use on Pets: Test a small area on your pet 24 hours before full application to ensure there are no sensitivities.
Prepare for application by brushing fur against the grain, then lightly mist coat including back, stomach, and tail. Work through coat as close to the skin as possible. Spray on a cloth to apply to face and ears. Do not spray near eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not soak pets. CedarGuard is safe for everyday use.
For Use Around Your Home: Though CedarGuard is formulated to be non-greasy and non-staining, we recommend testing a small area before full application to ensure colorfastness.
Keep sensitive pets and people out of heavily treated rooms during and after application for 2-4 hours to ensure the treatment has settled. Mist all flooring, pet bedding, and furniture.
If you wish, you may also add CedarGuard to the solution tank of most carpet cleaners.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (25%)
Cedarwood Oil (Texas) (1%)
Purified Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Silica Hydrate, Cedarwood Oil (Texas), Soapbark, Carrageenan, Rosemary, Glycerin, Vitamin E, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Vanillin, Sodium Bicarbonate (72.5%)
Recommended for adult dogs and cats. Avoid contact with eyes. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe pet and discontinue use. Keep out of reach of children. Do not store or use in enclosed areas with open flames.
If you have any questions, please call
1.866.977.0888 M-F 9am-6pm EST
Texas Red Cedar Power
With no harsh chemicals and the power of Texas Red Cedar oil, CedarGuard keeps your pets and home bug free and smelling fresh - naturally!
- Natural Texas Red Cedar oil repels and kills pests on contact
- No DEET, pyrethrins, pyrethroids, or harsh chemical pesticides
- Safe for dogs and horses of all ages
- Won't stain fabric or carpeting
- Natural cedar scent
CAUTION: Avoid contact with eyes. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your dog or horse and discontinue use. Not recommended for cats, birds, reptiles, fish or plants.
STORAGE: Store only in approved containers in a cool, dry area inaccessable to children and pets.
DISPOSAL: When container is empty, place in trash or recycle if available.
Defendex 2-Step Pest Control System FAQs
Q: Why use a natural flea shampoo?
A: A growing number of pet owners are concerned about the risks of chemical pesticide shampoos with ingredients like permethrin or pyrethrin. Adding to concerns – many of the most popular chemical pesticide shampoos for pets contain more permethrin or pyrethrin than roach spray or the pest killers available for their yard!
Pyrethrin, permethrin, and other pyrethroid synthesized chemicals can interfere with the nervous system and cause tremors, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, hyperactivity, disorientation, depression, twitching, and in more serious cases, difficulty breathing, seizures, and even death.
Because they have a greater surface area to weight ratio, cats and smaller dogs are at increased risk of toxic overdose of pyrethrin, permethrin, and other pyrethroid synthesized chemicals. Hypothermia after bathing can also increase risk.
Fortunately, there’s a safe, natural way to take care of a pest problem—DefendexRed!
Q: How does DefendexRed kill pests naturally?
A: The natural Texas Red Cedar oil in DefendexRed blocks a type of insect neurotransmitter called “octopamine” that regulates breathing, metabolism, reproduction, and movement in pheromone-driven insects including fleas, ticks, mange mites, mosquitoes, and flies. When pests breath in or have direct contact with DefendexRed, they suffocate and die.
While natural cedar oil is deadly to insects, mammals do not have octopamine receptors and it is safe for humans and dogs.
Q: Is DefendexRed a pesticide?
A: DefendexRed is a natural pesticide (pest-killing) product. DefendexRed qualifies as a FIFRA Minimum Risk Pesticide under the U.S. EPA's 25(b) exemption.
Q: Can I use DefendexRed on a kitten or puppy?
A: DefendexRed should not be used on a kitten or puppy. If your kitten or puppy has a pest problem, use a fragrance-free baby shampoo to cleanse and a flea comb to remove fleas. We also recommend treating any adult pets in your household with DefendexRed, and following home cleaning steps described in our “What other steps should I take to help avoid reinfestation” FAQ.
Q: My pet has sensitive skin. Will DefendexRed be okay for him?
A: Cedarwood oil is an astringent and is often used to shield the skin from toxins and bacteria. Its gentle cleansing effect will not dry out skin. DefendexRed’s moisturizing formula contains skin-loving vitamin E to protect and condition the coat.
Q: How often should DefendexRed shampoo be used?
A: Repeat as needed, up to 3 times per week, until pest infestation is under control.
Q: My pet is anxious being bathed. Any advice?
A: The most effective way of dealing with a bath-anxious pet is to slowly introduce them to the bathroom, bathtub, and bathing process; building positive associations with treats, praise, and play reinforcement until they are more comfortable with each aspect of bathing. However, pest issues can pop up unexpectedly and need to be dealt with immediately. Below are a few suggestions to help the bathing process run more smoothly with a bath-anxious pet:
- Consider Enlisting a Helper: A second pair of hands can be a big help to speed the process along and wrangle a pet that doesn’t want to be bathed - especially a helper with experience bathing difficult pets. One person can help keep your pet in the tub, while the other can pour water and lather.
- Consider Anxietrex and/or Chillout Chews: Anxietrex is a liquid homeopathic blend formulated for safe natural relief of anxiety in pets. A “crisis dose” can be administered one hour prior to bathing – either directly by mouth or added to your pet’s food or water. Chillout Chews are supplement blend treats formulated to support healthy calm mood and behavior. You can give your pet a dose half an hour prior to bathing. Anxietrex and Chillout Chews may be used individually or together.
- Play First: Try and get out excess energy prior to bathing. A sleepy pet is one that is easier to bathe!
- Prepare Bathing Area: Before you bring your pet into the bathroom, make sure you have everything you need ready to go. The less time they’re in the bathroom, the less time they have to get worked up (and if you can avoid trips out of the bathroom, you’ll also avoid having to recapture a wet, sudsy pet that’s escaped.) Ensure the room is nice and warm – wearing a wet fur coat is cold! Remove any objects that are unnecessary for the bathing process. Have shampoo, a pitcher, and enough towels for drying ready to go. For greater feeling of stability and security for your pet, consider placing a rubber shower mat in the bathtub to prevent slipping and sliding. Soothing music may be played - studies show soothing music can be a helpful distraction for stressed pets. Fill the tub with a few inches of warm water.
- Bathe Right: Our pets are very sensitive to our own emotional state. Calm, confident, and positive is exactly the impression you want to give them throughout the entire process. This is no big deal. You’re not worried and they don’t need to be either. Offer praise when they your pet is being cooperative and allowing you to do what you need to do. Remain as calm as you can if they act up.
Q: What other steps should I take to help avoid reinfestation?
A: To help avoid reinfestation, before releasing your pet back out into the rest of the home, gather any towels, clothing, and bedding your pet has been in contact with and wash using hot water and high heat to dry. Sweep and mop non-carpeted floors, and vacuum any carpet or soft furniture they have had contact with. Empty your vacuum’s contents outside your home directly into a plastic garbage bag and then into the garbage bin when you’re done.
Flea eggs may take up to two weeks to hatch and larvae can live for more than 100 days. Regular home cleaning, following these instructions, is important to help eliminate pests in your home and around your pet.
- Cat and Dog Owners: For added protection, apply CedarGuard spray to flooring, pet bedding, and furniture.
- Dog Owners: We also recommend applying CedarGuard topically every three days. Because of a cat’s normal grooming habits, we do not recommend topical application of CedarGuard on cats.
Q: How does CedarGuard work?
A: The Texas Red Cedar oil in CedarGuard contains a chemical that blocks a type of insect neurotransmitter called “octopamine.” Octopamine is responsible for regulating heart rate, movement, and behavior in pheromone-driven insects (including fleas, ticks, mange mites, mosquitoes, and flies), thus when pests come into contact with CedarGuard, they suffocate and die. Mammals do not have octopamine so this chemical will not affect them.
Q: How quickly can I expect results with CedarGuard?
A: CedarGuard kills pests and their eggs on contact and begins repelling pests immediately. For optimal results, we recommend both direct use on your pet as well as treatment of any areas they come in contact with. Launder bedding, blankets, pillows, plush toys, and linens. Vacuum carpets, rugs, and furniture, then dispose bagged vacuum contents into an outdoor trash receptacle. Apply CedarGuard to home areas.
Spray directly on pets, following directions for use, every 2 to 3 days or as often as needed. For severe infestations, we also recommend bathing pets with Defendex shampoo and brushing with a flea comb.
Q: How often should CedarGuard be applied?
A: To maintain optimal effectiveness as a repellant on your dog or horse, we recommend applying CedarGuard at least once every 2 to 3 days.
Q: How long will one bottle of CedarGuard last?
A: For application on dogs: Results will vary depending on your dog’s size and your frequency of use, but will one bottle will typically last around 6-8 weeks. For application on horses: For maximum strength protection, use the AccuFlow Brush™ for head-to-tail coverage. One bottle will yield approximately two applications. For regular protection, spray body and tail every few days or as needed. For application indoors: Results will vary depending on how heavily areas are being treated; however, we estimate roughly 80 sq ft of heavy coverage per bottle.
Q: Can I use CedarGuard with other pest control products?
A: Yes. Although, with regular use you should find CedarGuard is all you need! Unlike dangerous chemical pesticide treatments (including products containing pyrethrin, pyrethroids, imidaclopid, pyriproxfen, fipronil, and (S)-methyoprene), CedarGuard is non-toxic and will not interact with spot-on treatments. However, to ensure your pet doesn’t have a reaction to the chemical pesticide treatment you are using, we do recommend waiting at least a day after using a chemical pesticide treatment before applying CedarGuard.
Q: Will CedarGuard leave an oily residue or stain?
A: Nope! Though CedarGuard is oil based, it dries quickly without residue or staining.
Q: Is CedarGuard safe for use on puppies and foals?
A: Yes, CedarGuard is safe for use on dogs and horses of all ages!
Q: Can I use CedarGuard on my cat?
A: Because of the way cats groom themselves, we do not recommend CedarGuard for direct application on your cat. However, CedarGuard may still be safely used to treat soft surfaces in homes where cats live.
Q: Can I use CedarGuard on birds or reptiles?
A: No, because of their very sensitive respiratory systems, we do not recommend CedarGuard for direct application on birds or reptiles. However, CedarGuard may still be safely used to treat soft surfaces in homes where birds or reptiles live.
Q: I have a cedar allergy. Will CedarGuard affect me?
A: Allergies to CedarGuard are very rare and there have been no reported cases of allergic skin reactions to cedar oil. CedarGuard contains no cedar pollen so it should not affect respiratory allergies. To test for skin reactions, we recommend placing a small amount on the back of your hand. To test for respiratory reactions, we recommend spray a small amount in the air near you.