Natural Flea & Tick Shampoo with the Power of Texas Red Cedar
- Kill fleas, ticks, and mange mites on contact
- Scent lingers on fur and naturally repels fleas, ticks, mange mites, mosquitoes and biting flies
- Naturally potent Texas Red Cedar oil is toxic for insects and their eggs, but safe for cats and dogs
- No harsh chemical pesticides
- No urea or PEGs
- No pyrethrin or pyrethroids
- Natural Chilean Soapbark (Quillaja Saponaria)
- Scented naturally with a soothing aromatherapeutic blend of fresh evergreen cedar, herbal rosemary, and sweet vanilla
- 8 fl oz bottle
- Standard Flea Comb Included.
- Express Shipping is Available.
- You'll Love It or Your Money Back! We're so sure you'll love Defendex Red, we guarantee it! *
Keep the Great Outdoors Great.
Fight back against biting insects safely and naturally. With no pyrethrin, permethrin, pyrethroids, or harsh chemical pesticides, DefendexRed helps kill fleas, ticks, and mange mites with the natural power of Texas Red Cedar oil. Fresh, clean, and bug-free, DefendexRed’s blend of cedar, rosemary, and vanilla helps keep bugs off your pet after the suds are gone. While its calming aromatherapeutic scent lingers on their fur, it disguises them from biting insects and repels those that come too close!
No More Embarrassing Pests in Your Home!
For a proud homeowner, there are few things more irritating or embarrassing than a flea infestation. This flea season, stay ahead of the game with DefendexRed baths for your pet. Safely, without harsh chemical pesticides, keep your pet, your home, your family, and your guests happy and free of itchy bug bites! With a naturally potent botanical blend, Defendex Red stops pests in their tracks and helps keep them away.
Texas Red Cedar: Native to the southwest, Texas red cedar has a calm, grounding wood scent and is a naturally potent pesticide.
Soapbark: A Chilean evergreen with naturally lathering properties, soapbark has a long history as an Andean soap substitute.
Irish Moss: A red, Atlantic algae species with natural thickening properties, Irish moss creates a luxurious shampoo consistency.
Rosemary: A Mediterranean herb with a pleasant, uplifting scent, rosemary has natural antiseptic and pesticide properties.
Vanilla: The distinctive sweet, creamy scent of vanilla is a naturally calming fragrance in Defendex Red’s aromatherapeutic blend.
Bug Free: Naturally with NEW Defendex Red Shampoo!
Kill fleas, ticks, and mange mites on your pet. Repel biting insects including mosquitos and flies. Enjoy the fresh, woodsy-sweet aromatherapeutic scent on your pet’s fur.
For happy, bug-free dogs and homes, Defendex Red is the naturally potent pest solution to kill bugs on contact and help keep them away!
How to use Defendex Red
Directions: Draw a shallow bath of warm water. (fig. 1) Once your pet is in the bath, thoroughly soak youe pet's coat with water. (fig. 2) Then, squeeze a generous amount of shampoo into your hand (fig. 3), create a lather, and massage into your pet's coat for 10- 15 minutes. (fig. 4) If your pet needs it, you can brush your pet's coat to smooth it. Then part your pet's coat into small sections and, using the 5/10k exempt flea comb, (fig. 5) comb through each section. (fig. 6) Regularly rinse the comb in the bowl of hot water to remove any fleas or eggs.
Repeat as needed, up to 3 times per week.
After opening: Keep product away from direct sunlight, prolonged temperatures above 80° F, and strong electromagnetic fields. Store in a dark place and keep container tightly closed.
Defendex Red Ingredients
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (25%)
Cedarwood Oil (Texas) (1%)
Purified Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Silica Hydrate, Cedarwood Oil (Texas), Soapbark, Carrageenan, Rosemary, Glycerin, Vitamin E, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Vanillin, Sodium Bicarbonate (72.5%)
Recommended for adult dogs and cats. Avoid contact with eyes. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe pet and discontinue use. Keep out of reach of children. Do not store or use in enclosed areas with open flames.
If you have any questions, please call
1.866.977.0888 M-F 9am-7pm EST
Defendex Red FAQs
Q: Why use a natural flea shampoo?
A: A growing number of pet owners are concerned about the risks of chemical pesticide shampoos with ingredients like permethrin or pyrethrin. Adding to concerns – many of the most popular chemical pesticide shampoos for pets contain more permethrin or pyrethrin than roach spray or the pest killers available for their yard!
Pyrethrin, permethrin, and other pyrethroid synthesized chemicals can interfere with the nervous system and cause tremors, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, hyperactivity, disorientation, depression, twitching, and in more serious cases, difficulty breathing, seizures, and even death.
Because they have a greater surface area to weight ratio, cats and smaller dogs are at increased risk of toxic overdose of pyrethrin, permethrin, and other pyrethroid synthesized chemicals. Hypothermia after bathing can also increase risk.
Fortunately, there’s a safe, natural way to take care of a pest problem—Defendex Red!
Q: How does Defendex Red kill pests naturally?
A: The natural Texas Red Cedar oil in DefendexRed blocks a type of insect neurotransmitter called “octopamine” that regulates breathing, metabolism, reproduction, and movement in pheromone-driven insects including fleas, ticks, mange mites, mosquitoes, and flies. When pests breath in or have direct contact with DefendexRed, they suffocate and die.
While natural cedar oil is deadly to insects, mammals do not have octopamine receptors and it is safe for humans and dogs.
Q: Is Defendex Red a pesticide?
A: DefendexRed is a natural pesticide (pest-killing) product. DefendexRed qualifies as a FIFRA Minimum Risk Pesticide under the U.S. EPA's 25(b) exemption.
Q: Can I use DefendexRed on a kitten or puppy?
A: DefendexRed should not be used on a kitten or puppy. If your kitten or puppy has a pest problem, use a fragrance-free baby shampoo to cleanse and a flea comb to remove fleas. We also recommend treating any adult pets in your household with DefendexRed, and following home cleaning steps described in our “What other steps should I take to help avoid reinfestation” FAQ.
Q: My pet has sensitive skin. Will Defendex Red be okay for him?
A: Cedarwood oil is an astringent and is often used to shield the skin from toxins and bacteria. Its gentle cleansing effect will not dry out skin. DefendexRed’s moisturizing formula contains skin-loving vitamin E to protect and condition the coat.
Q: How often should Defendex Red shampoo be used?
A: Repeat as needed, up to 3 times per week, until pest infestation is under control.
Q: My pet is anxious being bathed. Any advice?
A: The most effective way of dealing with a bath-anxious pet is to slowly introduce them to the bathroom, bathtub, and bathing process; building positive associations with treats, praise, and play reinforcement until they are more comfortable with each aspect of bathing. However, pest issues can pop up unexpectedly and need to be dealt with immediately. Below are a few suggestions to help the bathing process run more smoothly with a bath-anxious pet:
- Consider Enlisting a Helper: A second pair of hands can be a big help to speed the process along and wrangle a pet that doesn’t want to be bathed - especially a helper with experience bathing difficult pets. One person can help keep your pet in the tub, while the other can pour water and lather.
- Consider Anxietrex and/or Chillout Chews: Anxietrex is a liquid homeopathic blend formulated for safe natural relief of anxiety in pets. A “crisis dose” can be administered one hour prior to bathing – either directly by mouth or added to your pet’s food or water. Chillout Chews are supplement blend treats formulated to support healthy calm mood and behavior. You can give your pet a dose half an hour prior to bathing. Anxietrex and Chillout Chews may be used individually or together.
- Play First: Try and get out excess energy prior to bathing. A sleepy pet is one that is easier to bathe!
- Prepare Bathing Area: Before you bring your pet into the bathroom, make sure you have everything you need ready to go. The less time they’re in the bathroom, the less time they have to get worked up (and if you can avoid trips out of the bathroom, you’ll also avoid having to recapture a wet, sudsy pet that’s escaped.) Ensure the room is nice and warm – wearing a wet fur coat is cold! Remove any objects that are unnecessary for the bathing process. Have shampoo, a pitcher, and enough towels for drying ready to go. For greater feeling of stability and security for your pet, consider placing a rubber shower mat in the bathtub to prevent slipping and sliding. Soothing music may be played - studies show soothing music can be a helpful distraction for stressed pets. Fill the tub with a few inches of warm water.
- Bathe Right: Our pets are very sensitive to our own emotional state. Calm, confident, and positive is exactly the impression you want to give them throughout the entire process. This is no big deal. You’re not worried and they don’t need to be either. Offer praise when they your pet is being cooperative and allowing you to do what you need to do. Remain as calm as you can if they act up.
Q: What other steps should I take to help avoid reinfestation?
A: To help avoid reinfestation, before releasing your pet back out into the rest of the home, gather any towels, clothing, and bedding your pet has been in contact with and wash using hot water and high heat to dry. Sweep and mop non-carpeted floors, and vacuum any carpet or soft furniture they have had contact with. Empty your vacuum’s contents outside your home directly into a plastic garbage bag and then into the garbage bin when you’re done.
Flea eggs may take up to two weeks to hatch and larvae can live for more than 100 days. Regular home cleaning, following these instructions, is important to help eliminate pests in your home and around your pet.